Saturday, August 07, 2010

Down by the pond

Common Darter
Common Darter

Emerald Damselfly
Emerald Damselfly

Water on lilypads


Pyrausta moth on Water Mint
Pyrausta moth
It's been a good day for wildlife in and around the garden today. Darren found loads of Common Blues just next door. I saw a Spotted Flycatcher sitting on our washing line post, right outside the kitchen window (I was in the bathroom at the time). Darren saw a female Southern Hawker cruising around the pond (which I missed). I saw a Brown Argus perching on a waterlily bloom (what a photo that could have been!) but by the time I'd fetched the camera, it had gone.

An Emerald damselfly has been around the pond - is it the same one from a couple of weeks ago? I hadn't seen it again until today, but I'm sure I miss most of the pond action while I'm at work.

photos taken with Canon EOS 30D, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that are really good, the Common Darter and the Emerald Damselfly and the droplets of rain on the Lily are beautiful Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The top Dragonfly is awesome. Amazing colour.

    ReplyDelete