Saturday, December 19, 2009

It's cold outside

A blur of activity

Going outside is interesting now we've experienced an Extreme Weather Event (TM). People living outside the UK may be amused to hear that we've had about five inches of snow locally (though some other areas have had almost twice that) and again, we can't really cope.

I managed to get to work (where I took the above photo) in about twice the normal time but we got sent home early in case it got any worse.

At home, I've been out in my jimjams (and a fleece) to feed the birds before doing anything else. At the moment we've got black sunflower seeds, peanuts, niger seed and a fat-filled coconut out, and I've also found some porridge oats and sultanas (I'm not sure if anything has eaten the sultanas - maybe the Jackdaws).

The snowy garden

It looks festive and fun for us humans, but I'm sure the birds don't appreciate the thick coating of white stuff everywhere. Hopefully my small efforts will help see them through the tough conditions.

2 comments:

  1. I love to see the English birds you post. It brings back memories. That has to be a Great Tit there showing full front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's a male Great Tit just flying up to the feeder, and a Blue Tit flying away.

    ReplyDelete