Monday, February 02, 2009

Es schneit

View from my window

As usual, now that we've had about two inches of snow, the useless Brits - or, perhaps I should clarify, the English - can't cope. I had to drive to work at a top speed of 30mph, but it was do-able and by the time I went home (earlier than usual) the roads were a bit damp but otherwise fine. Apparently it's the heaviest snowfall in the south-east for 18 years.

Whilst at my desk I couldn't help but stare out of the window at the snowy scene outside, and wonder how the birds were coping. I watched a few Goldcrests pecking and fluttering amongst the pine needles. They seemed to be finding tiny morsels to eat, but it must be tough for them.

A flock of Long-tailed Tits was calling when I went outside to top up the birdfeeder, but today there was no sign of the Nuthatches that have been whistling noisily for the past couple of weeks.

Sound-wise, I heard my first Song Thrush song of the year last week. It was an unlikely setting: I was waiting in the car outside the Co-Op while Rizlas were being purchased inside, and through the fog and the car window I heard the repeated notes from a Song Thrush. I wonder what made him start singing? It was a horrible morning.

photos taken with Canon Powershot A640

1 comment:

  1. I've been having a bit of fun at Charlie's expense about how you all are handling a dusting of snow. I'm no winter warrior but we've been getting snow nearly every day here.

    I can imagine that if Goldcrests are anything like their American kinglet kin that the snow doesn't faze them much. I'd also be surprised if the nuthatch or some of the tits are bothered as well.

    ReplyDelete