Thursday, January 01, 2009

New Year

Woken up at 5.30 am by Darren getting up to go out birdracing for the day around Bedfordshire, I opted to stay put. Then, when I did get up, at a more civilised hour, it looked like this outside.

Sigh

I was rather hoping for a nice bright, frosty day, good for a walk and some photos. So that's 2009 off to a good start.

Now I'm into my sixth calendar year of blogging, I'm looking for new angles to help keep Bogbumper off the buffers (I've considered abandoning it, as seems to be fashionable these days, and sticking to Flickr).

So what I'm planning is writing about sounds and how they reflect the year's progression. I'm aiming to write something every day (or maybe just post a photo). I'd quite like one of those Remembird thingies so I could post some recordings, but they're a bit pricey. Maybe later in the year. But I hope sounds will be the main thing - then it won't matter if I haven't got any photos :o)

What else to look forward to this year?
  • Return of migrants, and their accompanying songs. Only two months to go!
  • Spring, and what appears in the pond this year. Will the Great Crested Newts return? Will there be any dragonflies emerging after only one year? Will we get more frogs?
  • Getting out more
  • Maybe, if I'm feeling not too poverty-struck, getting another lens for my camera so I don't have to stand at least five feet away from everything. Proper macro would be fun...
  • Sorting out the garden properly, so we have proper flower beds, more vegetables and more wildlife habitats
  • The return of moth-trapping to our garden
photos taken with Canon EOS 30D, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:17 pm

    Happy New Year Katie. It would be a shame if you didn't post as your photos are always great and the info you add is informative about wildlife. Problem with having a Macro lens is that you have to keep doing rapid lens changing. You never have the right lens on at the right time. A good alternative would be a Canon Powershot G10 with a minimum focus distance of 1cm. That way you have got a good camera with a long lens and a good camera for scenes and close ups. (Not that I am trying to spend your money or anything!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roy. Thanks for your comment. I've got a Canon Powershot A640 which is pretty handy for macro and not bad at landscape stuff. One of my friends at work has got a macro lens for her 350D (I think) and I'm really jealous! I feel like I'm taking photos of the same things all the time and a new lens would bring a new perspective (literally). Maybe a cheapish second-hand DSLR for macro would do the trick. One day...

    ReplyDelete