Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Step away from the bird

Long-tailed Tit

Baby bird season is hard work. After the experience of seeing Jackdaw chicks become supper for young Carrion Crows last week, today I stumbled across a tiny Long-tailed Tit fledgling. I'm not entirely sure what the official definition of 'fledgling' is, but this one couldn't really fly very well. It was more of a flutterer at an altitude of two inches.

It was in a vulnerable position in the middle of a busy path, so I watched for 10 minutes to see what happened before picking it up - it seemed quite happy to perch on my finger - and attempting to put it somewhere safer.

At first I couldn't hear any adults calling nearby, but then two sat in a nearby tree before flying off. The chick was calling but there didn't seem to be any other Long-tailed Tits around. In the end it fluttered into some nettles and I had to walk away... Now I'm trying not to think about its fate.


Large Red Damselflies - much less hassle



photos taken with Canon EOS 30D, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos. Years ago when I was still living in England, I once saw a long tailed tit. Beautiful bird -- soft and fluffy. I love that gorgeous red poppy photo.

    ReplyDelete