Saturday, January 05, 2008

There's an owl at the bottom of my garden

It's just getting dark outside and I can hear an owl outside. It's not really that unusual here: Tawny Owls can be heard most nights, we've heard the occasional Little Owl, and listening to Barn Owls wheezing their way over the garden was a frequent occurrence in summer.

The sound of tonight's Tawny was particularly loud and clear, so I went to the window to have a look. And, lo and behold, there was an owl-shaped silhouette against the dark blue sky, in the ash tree at the bottom of our garden.

Got my binoculars and had a closer look, through the window glass. I couldn't discern any detail, but I watched the owl's head dip as it gave another hoot. I was just considering trying to digiscope it, but before I could, it flew round to the other side of the tree and had a look at the cavity in the tree that the Jackdaws nested in last year!

Owls nesting in the garden would be fun... They'll be settling down to breed soon, so we might not have long to wait to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment