Saturday, March 10, 2007

Dig for victory

After moaning a lot about the state of the ground a few weeks back, I've got some more ground cleared for our veg patch. Measuring in at about 6' x 4' (about 1.8m x 1.2m), it's a tad underwhelming at the moment, but it's a start.

It's jolly hard work, you know. I stopped when I started getting blisters on my palms and my back started aching. It's very hard to maintain a good back posture while digging up turf.

While I was digging away (trying hard not to chop up too many worms), there were distractions. In the sugar beet field at the back, two Skylarks duelled in song. A Wren and a Chaffinch sang from next door and a Great Spotted Woodpecker drummed distantly, from across the road. While some birds were proclaiming the start of spring, there were remnants of winter in the sky, in the form of Fieldfares 'chacking'.

A good morning to be outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment