Saturday, February 18, 2006

Bring on spring...

Today is sunny and calm and there are flowers popping up in the garden. I can't wait for spring to get here properly.

I feel like I have a lot to look forward to this year. Of course, the same things happen every year at the same sites, and probably have done so for many decades... so why don't I make the most of them every year?

Don't know, really. Lack of time, I suppose.

This year should be different. I'm doing the 'Not Very Big Year' [list] with Darren and we have plans to see lots of nice things in nice locations.

Things like...
  • The seabird cliffs at Bempton
  • Capercaillie, eagles and Crested Tit in Scotland
  • Black Grouse (in Wales, perhaps)
  • Tasty upland things like Redstart, Wood Warbler and Pied Flycatcher
  • Dipper (anywhere with a Dipper is a nice location - even the grotty beck in Carlisle city centre where I think I saw my last one)
  • Displaying waders on the washes
  • 'Roding' Woodcock
  • 'Churring' Nightjars
So, you see, there is a lot to look forward to this year. Our year-listing aim is fairly simple - to try to see as many British breeding birds as possible - so we don't have to worry about whether we've missed the Ross's Gull or whatever.

I'd also like to see some new insects, which shouldn't be too hard, as I'm not very well-travelled, insect-wise. For example, I've only seen one fritillary species, Marsh Fritillary, and that was in Spain last May. There is a disappointing lack of fritillaries in this part of the country, and I'd like to see some more.

Hopefully there will be some good blog-fodder (both words and pictures) along the way, too.

digiscoped photo taken with Nikon Coolpix 995 + Leica Apo Televid 62 with 16x eyepiece

No comments:

Post a Comment