Thursday, December 09, 2004

Parklife


Black-headed Gull perched on the pontoon bridge. I know they're common as muck, but a picture's a picture... you never know when you might need one.




Coot frolics on the shallow waters...


I'm pleased with this photo of a Carrion Crow. I haven't had much success with these in the past. Their nictating [third] eyelid always seems to get in the way, which doesn't seem to happen with other birds. I think this is perhaps because on a bigger bird it moves more slowly and the shutter speed isn't quite fast enough. Not bad feather detail, either.


Blackbird perched in hedge by the lake.

Since it was sunny, I popped down to Ferry Meadows at lunchtime to chill out and do some digiscoping. I really wanted to get nice pics of Gadwall on Lynch Lake, but the sun was all wrong. They are at very close range there; I'll have to go back for some more. It used to be a boating lake and isn't very big, but lots of wildfowl gather on there for some reason; the feeding conditions must be right.

I settled for some OK shots of common birds today.

photos taken with Nikon Coolpix 995 + Leica Apo Televid 62 with 16x eyepiece

What's in my CD player: Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea - PJ Harvey

3 comments:

  1. I'm not expert or determined enough to start a serious argument, but your photo of that "blackbird" makes me wonder. From my experience and photo study, I'd thought that the only "black bird" that has that yellow eye is a starling and not generally called a blackbird. Am I quibbling over-much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, I forget where you are and that the US has renamed a lot of things just to be obnoxious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I'm in the UK, most definitely an adult male Blackbird, Turdus merula.

    ReplyDelete